Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Language of Flowers

This is the title of a book that I just finished that has definitely left an impression on me. The main thing that drew me to this book was that the core of it was about flowers and their meanings. The book even comes with a flower dictionary that you can refer to, and I found out that there is an even larger companion dictionary that you can buy, and I REALLY want it!!!

When I first picked up the book I instantly turned to the dictionary to look up the meaning of my favorite flower: Orchid- Refined beauty. To me, it's so befitting of an orchid. The unique and varying shape of the petals and color combinations are always eye catching, but never loud or abrasive. It's a flower that can stand on its own, and there has always been something about this flower that has caught my attention. Of course, after I then proceeded to look up other flowers that I admire like : Wisteria- Welcome, Poppy- Fantastic extravagance, and Tulip- Declaration of love. Then after looking over every definition present I dove head first into the story. I wont get into the details of it, but it was very good. Sad but moving, and serious but light hearted at the same time.

There is something so very moving about words. The fact that one word can have a definition that expresses so much, and mean so many things is both fascinating and kind of sexy. I have forever been fascinated with kind of obscure words and definitions for the simple fact that the more seemingly obscure, in a way the more beautiful the definition. It's as if these words find there way away from the limelight because they are so full of meaning that it would be too much to speak from day to day. It's as if they are words solely set aside for when they are really needed; when it is so absolutely necessary to pack your words with meaning that you drag these words out of the shadows. So then, to read this book and apply this concept to flowers was so fascinating and beautiful.

I feel like this was kind of a weird rant, but nonetheless I am going to leave you with a few flower/word definitions that I have enjoyed recently.


Koi no yokan- (n.) (phr.) The sense one person has upon meeting another person that they will fall in love

Iris- Message

Meliorism- (n.) The belief that the world gets better; the belief that humans can improve the world

Lavander- Mistrust

Scintilla- (n.) A tiny, brilliant flash or spark; a small thing; a barely visible trace

Azalea- Fragile and ephemeral passion



No comments:

Post a Comment