Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spring Daydreams

Well, it's a pretty Sunday afternoon (oh, Happy Easter to those who celebrate) and I am confined to my room doing homework, as I have been this entire weekend. This is the unfortunate side effect of the end of the school semester. It's that time were all of the professors realize that we only have about two full weeks to complete everything, so they give you about 3 assignments a piece to finish in that amount of time. Thus, ciaos ensues.

The hardest thing about these next few weeks will not necessarily be the amount of work I will have to complete, but suppressing the consistent daydreams and the urge to spend my time outside in the wonderful spring weather. It's currently 77 degrees, and sunny, which makes it particularly hard to focus on the work I still have to complete.

It's been a pretty even fight today between my homework and my daydreams. I've opened my blinds to let the sunlight in and help my orchids bloom. I have been watching one of my orchid buds slowly open today, which has been fun to watch while working. I have also been on a kick of listening to the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Steve Martin, and Nickel Creek. This definitely has not helped suppress my daydreams today. I keep thinking about spending the day outside, going on a nice road trip to a destination unknown. Something vast, and open, untouched by industry, and little interaction with human alteration. I want to lay in tall grass and absorb the sun and sky. If I had a dog, he (or she) would be by my side, running freely. Or, spending the day next to a flowing stream, or slow moving river. Sitting a rock, while sliding my feet into the water. With the influence of my music choices today, if i could play the banjo or mandolin, an instrument would be present, playing softly. I also imagine myself writing letters to my loved ones, on handmade stationary. I would say in this place all through the morning and afternoon, and into the night. I would watch as the sun set, and welcome its descent, for I know it will rise again in the morning. I would stay even after the sun has gone, and wait for the lightning bugs to appear. I would watch as their lights would dance against the dark, and indulge in my childish desires and catch one or two just to see the light up close, and then release them so that they could continue dancing. After a while, I would then reluctantly take my leave from this place, and let it rest for the evening, but hope that I would return soon.

So, that is just part of the many daydreams I have been having today. I hope to be able enjoy this wonderful weather soon, and absorb a bit of spring.


Because I always have to share videos:
This is a really great song by Steve Martin. He talks a bit before the song starts, so if you just want to hear the song, just skip to about 2:20

The Vespers- Just heard this song today, but the banjo playing in it is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment