Thursday, December 27, 2012

Post Christmas Ramblings

Well, Christmas has come and gone, but it was a good one! I've been kind of amazed at how fast December has gone by. I feel like at one moment it was Halloween and then I blinked and then POOF..... Christmas was here.

I've spent the majority of my holiday up in Tennessee with my grandparents. Luckily, I was also able to make it out to my other grandparents out in Virginia on Christmas Eve. Due my granddads rapid memory loss no one can really visit much,because he doesn't remember us anymore, and because of this it stresses him out when people are there for over a period of time. It's sad, but I'm glad I got to see both of my grandparents, and the rest of the family that is out that way.

But other than the usual holiday activities, I've just been spending time with family. On Sunday myself, my mother, and my aunt and uncle, decided to hike up House Mountain. I was very excited to hike, since I hadn't been able to for a while, and I had never been up house mountain, I had only ever seen it from my grandparents front porch. So, we started around 2 which was fine considering it was cloudy and around 50 degrees. We had a good pace to start with, but as we got further my mother and I slowed down a bit. Being significantly shorter than my aunt and uncle (and not as in shape), we hung a little further back. I slowed down to keep my mother company, and to be there if she needed help. The trail itself, was for the most part up hill, with what I would say is a very narrow path, and was SUPER rocky. With it being so rocky, that's what slowed me down a lot. I am not the most sure of foot, and after falling a time or two after not paying attention to where was putting my feet, I tend to take rocky paths a lot slower than I used to. In a few areas, the rocks were so big I had to climb over them because my legs were too short to reach. At one point, I had to stop and rest because I started to get very dizzy. I knew it was due to a lack of drinking enough water. So that was my fault, I know better, but it just didn't cross my mind, and I forgot my water bottle. Then as I was resting, it started to rain pretty good, which made my decision to forgo going to the top, but to turn around. The trail was already a bit muddy in places from previous rainfall, and I knew there was a storm on the way. So, as we made our way back down, the rain continued to fall making the trail muddy, and the rocks very slick. I slipped a few times, but luckily was always able to catch my balance. Surprisingly  there were a good number of people on the trail that day. Met one fellow who decided to make the hike sans shoes. I hope that worked out for him. I didn't expect to see so many on a cloudy, rainy day, but I guess great minds think alike :)
The view from House Mountain
Avett Brothers- Sanguine

No comments:

Post a Comment