Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dances with Wolves

Currently, while I am procrastinating from doing my art project, I decided to watch Dances with Wolves. In my opinion, it's a very good movie. Some people have made fun of me for liking it as much as I do, but it doesn't faze me. If you want to go by IMDB standards, they rate it 8 out of 10 stars. However, if you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. At the very least, I would recommend you watch it just for the beautiful scenery, and Kevin Costners mustache. The first reason, being one of the reasons why I decided to write today. I think what first attracted me to this particular movie was the scenery. The vast landscapes of mountains, beautiful grasslands, and more are apart of the reason why I love this movie. After doing a quick search as to where the movie was filmed, I found that it was shot in South Dakota, Wyoming, and Kansas. I have never really traveled out west, but I have always wanted to. I don't really know where exactly, but I hope to make it out that way some day. Ideally, in my lifetime I would like to visit every state at least once. However, there is something about traveling west that is really appealing. I guess there is something about the idea of it being so vast and open in areas. The idea of feeling so small against something so much larger than myself, is a humbling idea. Hopefully, one day I will make it out west.

Also, this movie makes me want to learn more about Native American culture and history. The background and traditions go so far back, I think they would be fascinating. Also, I admire the idea of living off the land. Relying solely on what nature provides. I would like to learn more about they ways in which these people used their resources. Also, on a random note, it makes me want to go horseback riding as well.

There is another thing about this movie, which rings true to me. It is the idea of two people coming together, and forming a relationship. About taking the time to learn about someone else; to try and experience another way of life. Also, by not judging others for their differences but for appreciating them for those differences, and forming bonds because of the things they have in common. I think it's so important to learn about other people and cultures. There is so much we can learn from one another.

Anyway, this post really wasn't about much but hey...what are you gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment