Friday, January 20, 2012

Emily- Professional Adventurer at your service!

If only one could make a living as a professional adventurer! Unfortunately, I have yet to see a college course entitled adventuring 1001.

A friend of mine and I were talking tonight about places we want to go, and things we want to experience. Over the course of the conversation I started to daydream about a life where I could go to amazing places, and have once in a lifetime experiences. I constantly find myself looking at images, and reading about exotic destinations and the things that make life extraordinary. There are so many things our world has to offer, and so many places where you are in complete awe of the things that surround you. I want to see it all. I want to experience it all. I want to go sky diving, and hang gilding, and scuba diving, and climb mountains, and see... a bear in it's natural habitat, and not behind glass in a zoo. I want to see deserts, and fields, and mountains, and marshes, and lakes, and oceans. I want to absorb different cultures, and people, and sights, and smells, and food! I want to experience it all! Or, at least as much as I can. I feel like at times we take our world for granted. I think we can easily get wrapped up in the mundane day to day nonsense, myself included. We get wrapped up in problems at work, or with friends and family, and we forget to look around and see the kind of amazing place we live in. We forget to take the time and look and experience all the things that life has to offer.

There are so many wonderful places I want to go. I can only hope to be able to visit half. Hence why I wish I could be a professional adventurer, to make my living by...well...living.

The thing that kind of sparked all of this was this image.
This is Ellisons Cave in Walker County, on Pigeon Mountain in Northwest Georgia. It is the 12th deepest cave in the US, and it is over 12 miles long. How awesome is this!! I couldn't help but think how amazing it would be to go caving here. Now, I have no experience with caving whatsoever, so it's highly unlikely that I would be able to go anytime soon, but how great would it be to see this in person! 

1 comment:

  1. I think your idea of wanting to be an adventurer are wonderful! Sure, there isnt a college course for it directly, but look at people like Peter Lik on the weather channel that travels the world and takes amazing photographs! I hope you get to do all the things you want someday. :)

    ReplyDelete