Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why I like rainy days

Rainy days, are possibly my favorite days. I've heard that some do not like them because it feels depressing, or gloomy, and I can understand that idea, but it has a very different feeling for me.

To me, when it rains, it's the best time for reflection. I tend to find myself reflecting on the current on goings in my life. I think about what I am happy with and the things I may want to change. It brings me a very peaceful feeling. The rain feels like a way to wash away all of the things that may be weighing heavy on my mind or things that I may be worried or stressed about. When it rains, I usually try and take that time to bring myself back down to earth and look at things in my life with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, I feel like it can be easy to get caught up in the things you feel like you can't change, and on rainy days I try and and think about how I can make the situation better. I may not necessarily solve the problem, but I try to look at it in such a way where I don't feel so overwhelmed or trapped.

Also, there is (to me) something about the rain that makes the world around me more beautiful. The trees are greener, and flowers pop against the grey sky, and the water rests on the leaves giving them a kind of gloss. I love looking at trees that have moss or fungi growing on them. The brown of the bark is such a deep color and the greenish blue of the moss just stands out in a really amazing way. I don't really do it anymore, but back home, when it rained, I usually made it a point to take a walk. It sounds kind of weird, but I always thought that was the best time to do so. It's nice because not too many people are out and about, and it makes it a great time to just soak up life and the things around you. I could probably stand in the rain for hours. I also enjoy watching birds when it rains. Their feathers become slightly saturated with water and it's cute to watch them puff up and shake of the moisture.

Rainy days are also the best movie days. I like to turn off all of the lights, open the windows, crawl under a blanket, and pop in a good movie. I tend to watch Braveheart because it always just seems appropriate. They are also the best cuddling days! I admit that I'm a big cuddler. It's probably one of my favorite parts of being in a relationship, so I miss that on days like today.

I also imagine one of the most perfect ways to enjoy the rain would be to sit out on the porch of a cabin in the mountains, in a swing of some sort, under a blanket, and just soak up the view. When I'm at home, I will sit in the garage or under the bit of covered walkway and just watch it rain. When my mothers cat was alive, she used to come up and curl up on my lap and sleep, which was always nice to have a companion. I look back fondly on those moments. I would like to, at some point in life, be able to share these kind of moments with someone. I may be a bit biased, but I just think its a really peaceful experience if you take time to look at the rain and I would love to share that with someone.


1 comment:

  1. I love this whole post because I feel the exact same way about rainy days! :)

    ReplyDelete