Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year Revolution!

So, I happened to come across this challenge called New Year Revolution. For 31 days, you are sent a challenge that you must complete each day. There are three different Revolution categories. There is Stop Wasting Money, Get Fit, and Try Something New. I decided to go with Try Something New. Really, I would like to do all of them but I feel like Try Something New might be the most fun at the moment. ANYWAY. I will attempt to do all 31 challenges and hopefully blog a bit about each, or at least ones I feel that impacted me the most. I will make the effort to try to write about each, but we will see. I'm excited to see what is thrown my way and will keep you updated! If anyone who happens to read this wants to check it out, or join one of the Revoluitons here is the link http://revolution.channel4.com/

Challenge 1:
The challenge I received today is to read a magazine that is targeted for the opposite gender, or a readership very different from yourself.

I decided to pick up a copy of Esquire Magazine. I really wanted to get American Cowboy Magazine, but I actually might pick up a copy of it, depending on what kind of mood I'm in. It's all about contemporary western lifestyle, which seems kind of interesting.

ANYWAY.

I chose Esquire partly because it seemed like a dudes magazine, and partly because I really didn't want to pick up a magazine about cars or deer hunting. Also, when I skimmed through it I saw that there was a small interview with Gary Oldman, and he's pretty boss. So when I got back and started looking at the magazine, one of the first advertisements was about sportswear at JCPenny and on the side of it, it had instructions on "How To Make Your Pecs Dance" which made me laugh. Also, there were A LOT of advertisements for watches...like...a good 10+ advertisements. I guess guys like watches? I was surprised to see that there wasn't that many photos of women, or scantily clad women. Although, interestingly enough, there was a large advertisement for diamond jewelry, that only featured women's jewelry (you know rings and such). Which, on a kind of side note, who decided that diamonds are to be the poster child for the stone to buy women?  I mean, maybe it's just me, but diamonds aren't all that awesome as far as stones go. Personally, I think emeralds are a pretty rockin' stone. Anyway...MOVING ON. The big article in the magazine was an interview with George Clooney entitled George Clooney's Thoughts for Today. It was pretty basic stuff with photos of George playing basketball and sitting in a large armchair.

Overall, Esquire was a pretty basic magazine. Seemed like the guys version some women's magazines I've seen. Well, I'm interested to see what tomorrows challenge is, and will keep you posted!

P.s. this is a pretty cool song. Check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment